Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chicken Soup

I was talking about my mother-in-law the other day. She passed away in 1999. My husband, son and I went to see her in Puerto Rico when our son was 3 years old. (1993). She was such a sweet woman. There are plenty of people out there who don't get along with their in laws, but she was just wonderful. I just regret she lived so far from us that I could not spend more time with her. She adored my husband as she did all her children.
She lived on a farm in the mountains with multiple chickens, goats and other animals. One day while we were at the beach, she killed a chicken and prepared fresh Chicken soup. It was the best soup I ever tasted. (Sorry Kate).
Chicken Soup Pictures, Images and Photos
Anyhow, I have been sick with a cold all weekend and I don't know why it didn't occur to me to make chicken soup. So this morning, knowing I had to get better before tomorrow so I could return to work, I put on a pot of chicken to boil. I have rested, drank fluids etc. etc....
I am hoping this will finish the job. It's not Emelia's chicken soup but I think making it in her memory will do the trick.
BTW, its one of the few things I make that we fight over who's going to get the last bowl.

3 comments:

kate said...

I have fond memories of my mom's chicken soup. Jewish penicillin she called it.

superdave524 said...

Nice memory. And I hope you get to feeling better.

jrtnutt said...

I just had two bowls. I hope I feel better too. I don't like missing work. If I show up sick, the doc will just send me home though, so it's a no win situation.