Thursday, September 18, 2008

Driving Miss Tam?

My son who is now 18, was a little late getting his driving permit. He just wasn't interested. He said driving is an "awesome" responsibility and at 15, he wasn't ready.

So we waited until he was 16. My husband took him to get his permit. He has had it for 2 years. He just hasn't driven much. It is mostly my fault...a little of Dad's too. When I get home from work I am tired. I settle in and and hate to go out anywhere during the week.

Just about the time he wanted to start driving more, the price of gas skyrocketed. Go figure.

Well I started making him drive when we went out on weekends and if I had to run errands in the evening. He took his driving test on his birthday in July and failed. He said he was driving in the parking lot of the DMV and as he was "very slowly" going over a speed bump, a pregnant woman was up ahead in the distance. He did not come to a complete stop because he was on the speed bump. By the time the lady crossed the parking lot, he was over the speed bump and she was up on the side walk. They failed him for not stopping for a pregnant woman. When he told me I didn't believe him. It sounds like something he would make up as a joke. But ...he was serious. What a crappy thing to happen on your 18th birthday.

So a couple weeks later he went back and took the driving test again....and again...failed. This time worse than before....

My last resort, other than telling my son to just let the non-driving, starving artist hippie come out......I decided on professional driving lessons.

He starts tomorrow at 2 pm. I will keep you all posted. I can't wait to hear this guys opinion of his driving.

2 comments:

superdave524 said...

My friend Cathy, who is a lawyer in Ridgeland, didn't get her driver's license until she was 24 years old. Said she never cared about it.

jrtnutt said...

Really? Wow, I don't feel so bad now. And the instructor said he has other students at UT also so he is not the only college student who doesn't drive.

He did well be the way. The things his father and I thought he needed work on, the instructor also pointed out. So...I think we did the right thing by hiring the professional. I want my boy to be a safe driver. I wish all parents did this actually.

I passed one of his former friends gunning it throughWalmart parking lot in a brand new car daddy just bought him.