Saturday, September 20, 2008

Colorblind

Yahoo featured a story stating some Democrats will vote for McCain because they don't want to vote for Obama because he is black. I just don't get it.


To me, skin is just a covering. I know it's the body's largest organ, yadda yadda yadda....but it really is just a protective covering. No one has any control over what color skin they were born with. Some white people want to be more tan. I myself wouldn't mind having olive colored skin. I would love to look like the Italian girl that I am. But I wasn't blessed with the olive skin. I was given peachies and cream and am happy with that.


I don't understand how someone can vote for someone who goes against most of the principal beliefs they hold because their skin color is white. Barack Obama has the same basic beliefs and principles I have. That is why I will vote for him in November to be our next president. If this man does not win because there are people out there so bigoted, narrow minded, ignorant as to not vote for someone because their skin is brown, then these people deserve everything that has happened in the last 8 years and every negative thing that WILL happen in the next 4 years.


It breaks my heart, physically makes me ill, knowing there are people like this. I married a man of color. He is Spanish. He is college educated, provides a wonderful home and life for me and our son. He is loving and kind.

My father did not and does not like him because his skin is not white like mine and his own. No matter how hard my husband tried to please my father and be respectful to him, he could not get past the fact that his skin is dark. I have come to the conclusion that it is HIS problem and not ours. He lost out on a great relationship with a great son-in-law.


I was raised believing people of different races don't mix and that people of color are "beneath white people". Once I became an adult and could think for myself, I realized what my parents were teaching me was wrong. I refused to raise my son in that manner. My son has had friends of every race, religion and sexual preference.


I trully hope that these people who are saying they won't vote for Obama because he is black, will see the error of their ways and realize that he is the man this country needs. I wish for one day, November 4th 2008, every American was colorblind.

1 comment:

superdave524 said...

I'll vote for Obama because he's the best candidate. Racism is so... "1950's". I remember that my grandmother was upset with me because I had a Jewish girlfriend when I was in law school. Oddly, my mom, who was an Episcopal nun, didn't seem as bothered by it as my grandma. I don't think my grandmother was a bad person, just limited by her times. I hope that, when it comes to crunch time, that the bigots just stay home. Thankfully, there seem to be a lot fewer of them now than in days gone by.