Saturday, November 15, 2008

Planes, trains and automobiles....

Well, its come to that time folks. Time to buy the son a car. He still doesn't have his drivers liscense but I don't want him driving my car. We paid for professional driving lessons and he takes his test next week. He has failed twice. (Hence the professional lessons). So, today I will start my search for a decent car for him. I just don't want him coming home on the weekends and wanting to drive my lovely Hyundai. I just know something will happen to it. If he dings, or scrapes his car, thats on him.

He was a late bloomer with the whole driving thing. Said he wasn't ready at 15 to get his permit. He said driving is "an awesome responsibility" and he didn't think he was ready. Finally at 17 we told him it was time for the permit. He was 18 in July and still no liscense. We are hoping this time he passes. He failed the first time because a pregnant lady crossed the parking lot ahead of him, he was going over a speed bump, slowed down, proceeded over the bump. By the time he got across the bump, she was on the sidewalk. He didn't stop. He failed. Those damn pregnant women! When he told me why he failed, at first I thought he was kidding. Sounded like something he would make up as a joke. But then the look on his face told me he was serious. Poor kid, what a way to spend your 18th birthday, failing your driving test.

So, wish us luck on finding a decent car we can afford, and....wish him luck passing his test. Oh and wish me luck on getting any sleep after he starts driving. I worry constantly about everything and this is just another thing I have to worry about. Him driving, in Florida. We all know how that can be.

4 comments:

superdave524 said...

My best friend, Cathy, didn't get her driver's license until she was, I think, 26. She's a much better driver than I am. Shoot, the Lads want to drive NOW (and they're only 13). Guess everybody has their own timeline.

kate said...

The older the better. I'm going to start a PAC that lobbies for the driving age to be raised to 18.

Too many dead kids and the fact of the matter is that the brain at 16 and 17 cannot react quickly like it can at 18 and older.

My kids are going to LOVE me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Our dog was 5 years old when she suffered a heart attack while being groomed. I took her home and the next day she passed away. That night I came home to an empty house (wife was away on a business trip) and I couldn't help myself but call for her.

This was our fourth dog and we decided that we won't get another one as it's too painful when they die. She was the third dog to die early (problem with purebreads)

Even writting this I started to tear up thinking about her

thanks Rob in Madrid (as I always sign off on)

Anonymous said...

updated

still miss her

thanks Rob in Madrid