Friday, November 28, 2008

The last of the siblings....

My mother was the youngest of 9 brothers and sisters. The last sibling passed away this morning. I don't even know how old he was.

My mother grew up poor. Very poor. Her father who was a Baptist minister, died when she was just 7 years old. They had no running water, dirt floors, no electricity. She had to quit school in 8th grade to go to work to help support herself and her mother.

Her brothers all married and went off to war, all except for one I believe. Her sisters married and had started families of their own. It was just my mother and her mother.

My uncle was named Clement, although they called him "Bear". From what I understand it was becaused he loved bananas. But I always thought monkeys loved bananas. I guess it would have been harder having an "Uncle Monkey" than an Uncle Bear.

He was in the Korean war and my mom told me that left him with a lot of mental scars. He had a nervous breakdown a few years ago and hasn't been the same since. I remember taking my son to see him one halloween for trick or treat. He used to smoke cigars. Des was dressed as Babe Ruth. So my Uncle, with my permission, gave Des a Cigar,still wrapped in plastic to use as a prop for his costume. Des was thrilled (even though he said smoking was "gross").

My uncle used to tell me stories of his childhood. He was one of those "slow talkers". It would take him forever to tell a story that could be told in 2 minutes. But I always listened to him. And though I can't recall any of the stories at this time, I can still remember sitting across from him, and him leaning in and telling us the stories...I can still remember the smell of the cigar.

He was a sweet man who had one of the nicest yards in town. He did all his own yard work for many many years. Up until he could no longer do it under doctors orders.

He will me be missed in my family. We are heading up to New Jersey for my son's injury case next week, and I hope the services coincide with our trip. If not,I will stop in and see my aunt and cousin and give my condolences. He was the last one and at least now I know they are all together....somewhere...sitting and chatting, William, Walter, Everett, Joe, Hazel, Myrtle, Doris, Clement and Peachie.

4 comments:

kate said...

Great names and a sweet story. I'm sorry for your loss.

superdave524 said...

I obviously didn't know your uncle, but I know he'd have to be happy you recognized that he had a nice looking lawn. I hope that I am remembered as well as you remember your family.

jrtnutt said...

Kate, thanks. There are so many weird names in my family. The one named Everette, my mom's brother. His nick name was "Hump". Don't ask....His son, also named "Everette" is called "Teenie". Hazel's son is named "William", but everyone called him "Wimpy". And Hazel's other son, Forrest, yes like Gump...anyway, Forrest was called "Bootsie". And Everette Sr., "Hump" also has a son named "Cary", but we all call him "Dootsie"

jrtnutt said...

Thank you too Dave. I try to find something good in everyone. That is how I try to remember people. Even if someone passed I wasn't particulary happy with, I would pick out something about them I liked and focus on it.
There were a few people in my family for whom I could not think of anything nice, so I just chose not to think.