Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Empty Nest




Well the big day has come and gone. Our only child has gone off the college. My husband got him moved into his dorm and all settled. Dad spent the whole day there sitting through orientation.


Des has some nice room mates and I hope he will enjoy his time there.

He isn't far from home. University of Tampa is about 25 minutes away from us. Its far enough but not too far that I can't jump in the car and be there in a flash if he needs me....which I don't think he will.

I have been preparing myself for this day for a long time. I thought it would be different. I thought I would enjoy the peace and quiet. No more electric guitar squealing from the bedroom. No more music playing in the office. No more getting up in the middle of the night for water....and hearing him writing his music late into the morning....
I miss him. I miss the noise....I miss the music. I think what I miss the most is him coming out to the lanai to tell me some random piece of history or scientific theory of which I have never heard. He is a bright, funny, witty young man. A young man who I have enjoyed raising...enjoyed being his mom.
I do for the first time in my life, feel a sense of accomplishment. I skipped college to get married, move to a foreign country and then meet the man of my dreams.( long story)...Anyhow....I didn't think I was college material back then. It scared me. I decided to marry (again) and have a family. Raising my son was my priority. It is something I have done well and with pride.
It's hard to believe he is all grown up, on his own and not needing his mom. Dad said when he unpacked...they all laughed at the first aid kit I packed, the tylenol and nose spray. The zip lock bags I packed for him. I tried to think of the things he wouldn't think to pack. But I bet when he needs those things...he will be glad I was there to remember it.
And even if he doesn't appreciate it now....he will later in life.....when he sends his own son or daughter off to college.
Well...until the weekend when, he runs out of clean laundry...and catches a ride home with my neighbor and best friend who works around the corner from UT...it will be just me, Dad and Maddie. At least I can still be a mom....even if its just to a JRT.

4 comments:

superdave524 said...

Looks like you've got reason to be proud, Tam. Your son looks like a decent fellow. Congratulations on doing such a fine job with him.

jrtnutt said...

Thanks Dave. I am extremely proud of him. He is the one thing in my life I am sure I did correctly. :)
Your boys look like fine young men themselves.
I guess you found me. I have never done the "blog" thing before and just did it on a whim. Not sure I will keep at it. I do like writing sometimes when I get the urge to vent.

superdave524 said...

Have fun with your blog. Do it as long as you like doing it. My brother's buddy, Chase, talked me into starting one and I really enjoy it.

jrtnutt said...

What I like about blogs the most is...well one of the things....is I get to meet such great people and I also enjoy reading other people's views. Even if I don't always agree, sometimes it's nice to hear someone's else's perspective.